Lionel Messi Elaborates on Choosing MLS, Inter Miami Over Barcelona
Lionel Messi spoke on his choice to join Inter Miami and Major League Soccer after his return to Barcelona fell through. As Adriana Garcia of ESPN reported, Messi stated during an interview with TV Publica out of Argentina, “Initially, we had a different plan [to return to Barcelona].
“We’re pleased with the choice we made. I’m enthusiastic and prepared to take on this new task. When his contract with Paris Saint-Germain expires at the end of June, Messi said earlier this month that he expected to join MLS and Inter Miami. However, he said he “really wanted to return to” Barcelona for at least the 2023–24 season. Since then, several publications have emphasized that Barcelona could not sign Messi this summer owing to financial fair play restrictions, which were the same problems that led to his departure from the team as a free agent in 2021.
Messi was a free agent after the 2020–21 season but eventually could not re-sign with Barcelona because of what were described as “financial and structural obstacles (Spanish Liga regulations).” When Messi’s contract with Paris Saint-Germain expires at the end of this month, Spanish football writer Guillem Balague repeatedly insisted that similar financial concerns would prevent Barcelona from signing Messi. It appears the seven-time Ballon d’Or winner saw the writing on the wall.
An Option for Messi’s Mega Move to Al-Hilal in Saudi Arabia
If Messi had moved to Saudi Arabia to play for Al-Hilal, he might have earned between $400 million and $541 million annually. Instead, the seven-time winner of the Ballon d’Or seemed pleased to settle in Florida and the United States.
This week, Lionel Messi’s agent and father, Jorge Messi, said that his son “would love to return to Barcelona.” Despite efforts by the Spanish giants to get their finances in line, ESPN’s Jordi Blanco claimed on Wednesday that sources indicated Messi “opted not to wait any longer and ruled out his former club as a destination for next season.”
Messi has a residence in the Miami region. Still, Saudi Arabia reportedly made him an offer worth up to $541 million yearly, estimated to be about $400 million. The famous person, who will turn 36 on June 24, spoke about turning down that kind of money guarantee.
Messi stated of his choice to make his intentions known earlier rather than waiting until July, “It [the decision] was an important step, but at the same time, I was aware of what it meant and of what I was doing.” “We’re pleased,”
After helping Argentina win the 2022 FIFA World Cup, hosted in Qatar this past autumn, Messi, who turns 36 on June 24, it was said earlier this week that he won’t play in the 2026 edition. His most recent remarks implied he no longer had anything to demonstrate globally.
“I enjoyed the [Qatar] World Cup more than the previous ones because I knew it could be my last,” Messi said. Those connected to the North American top-flight may try to persuade Messi to participate in the upcoming World Cup, including games staged in the United States, Mexico, and Canada. However, at this moment, nobody involved has any reason to confirm or contradict such rumors. As MLS is ready to announce the largest deal in league history formally, such discussions may be put off.